Tuesday, May 23, 2017

When the end equals new life

For those that haven't heard, Harliquin is discontinuing several of their lines, including Kimani, the only predominately Afrcan American line.  Now if you look at the read books that are housed in my garage, you will find that Romance is one of my favorite genres.  I've always been a hopeless romantic, and I love reading characters that have a HEA (Happily Ever After), especially since life doesn't always turn out like that.

 I started out with BET and Arabequese, and when Kimani came out, I followed them.  Another reason I've been a fan of that like is that the characters looked like me and were professionals like me.  Reality TV portrays us in a different light, but the majority of African Americans are not like that. 

When I first heard that the like was ending in December of 2018, like many others, I was upset.  Then after reading a couple of Facebook  posts, my thinking changed.  Instead of being upset I got excited.  Self publishing has changed the literary industry, some for good and some for bad.  I then realized that this like closing would be a good thing.  It's forcing some of our authors to move forward.  And if you need help in learning how to self publish, there are several online resources, including one by EN Joy which can be found here (www.pathtopublishing.com)

As a reader, authors need our help.  First off, we need to stop sharing books with people in our lives.  I realize for some that might be hard to do, but it's gotta stop.  Part of the reason the line is closing is because there were not enough sales.  The driving factor in this industry is "Green".  Instead of lending your copy, direct them where to buy it or buy a copy for them.  If either of those are not feasible, direct them to the public library.  Another thing we can get better at is posting our reviews on sites like Amazon and Barnes and Noble as well as Goodreads.  That allows them more visibility. And more libraries will purchase them the more reviews they have.

We have to be in the forefront of helping our authors stay visible.  We can do it if we try.

Some of my favorite read and upcoming reads









No comments:

Post a Comment