Friday, March 27, 2020

Author and Book Spotlight: Larue Fitch

My name is Larue Fitch and I'm an educator out of Chicago, Illinois. I was born and raised in Kankakee, Illinois. 

I just completed my first self-published book titled, "Breaking the Education Code". 

My professional journey as an educator began as an elementary school teacher. For seven years, I worked with scholars in grades 4 through 8, teaching science, literacy and math. During my time in the classroom, I was fortunate to develop relationships with scholars who provided a safe environment for them to grow and develop academically. Scholars remained engaged in the learning process, which also supported their success on multiple assessments.

As a teacher, I always looked forward to communicating openly with parents. It was always the highlight of my experience to share with the parents the academic and social growth their child made throughout the school year. Leadership opportunities began to open up within my school and I became the Science Lead Teacher. One of the most rewarding aspects of this role was the ability to work with my peers. Productive teamwork is critical to a thriving school culture. This collaboration led to some positive changes in our school’s teaching practices along with an established alliance between teachers and administration.

Seven years later, I entered the role of Assistant Principal and Resident Principal in Chicago Public Schools (CPS). As Resident Principal in a CPS elementary school, I was the administrator in charge of Restorative
Justice and our Data-Driven Instructional Cycle. Through the implementation of Restorative Justice practices, the percentage of out-of school suspensions decreased by 31 percent for African-American children. By implementing
effective Restorative Justice practices, I was able to effectively work closely with our teachers and families to build a culture where scholars were able to take ownership of their academic and social performances without being distracted by infractions that would impede their progress. 

Currently, I’m an Administrator in Illinois. In this role, I work collaboratively with teachers, scholars, and families.




Breaking the Education Code

In the words of Samuel L. Jackson in the movie, “Coach Carter,” where he said, “I took this job to effect change in a special group of people.” That was my saying as a new and vibrant teacher in 2007. I’ve witnessed the crimes that were destroying our youth in the city of Chicago. After witnessing these acts, I decided to become a school teacher to assist in the restoration of our community. I believed that it was time to destroy the system that has plagued us for centuries. It was time to inspire and encourage our youth to make better decisions. It was time to put education at the forefront of America’s agenda for our youth. It was time to go far and beyond to ensure that all scholars had equitable opportunities in the classroom. It was time to address the system that has kept us in the harsh conditions where we weren’t made to survive. It was time for me to become a voice for the less fortunate. And, NOW is the time for a new approach to teaching!

The ancient Greeks described time as Chronos and Kairos. Chronos is sequential and chronological, while Kairos is a critical and opportune moment. The title of this resource manual is, “Breaking the Education Code.” I chose this title because it’s time for us to understand and acknowledge the need for diversity in education. We need to awaken to the changes that have to occur to best service our scholars. This book is comprised of some of the best practices and strategies that I’ve implemented as an instructional leader. Right now in education, we are in the Kairos moment. It’s time for us to understand the need for diversity in education and how our curriculum should reflect the different styles of learning that happens in our classrooms. Ideally, our first step is to embrace the diversity that is occurring in various forms in America. I believe that public education is the cornerstone of democracy and if we create a learning environment that reflects the belief that all scholars can learn and be successful, then we will truly give scholars the opportunity to become college-and career-ready.




No comments:

Post a Comment